I found a few recipes online that were some version of bacon wrapped chicken.. all that required too many (junk) ingredients. I don't have an exact recipe that I used to edit, but this version is definitely healthier. Using turkey bacon (with no preservatives or nitrates), low fat mozzarella and home-made BBQ sauce you're cutting out a lot of the fat and added sugar. You've got a delicious, wholesome low-carb meal that won't taste at all like 'healthy' food.
Compare my recipe to a few of the similar recipes I found online.. you should feel good about what you are eating.
Bacon Wrapped Chicken stuffed with ricotta and spinach- Sounds pretty healthy right?
- 600+ calories, 44 grams fat and 45 grams of protein
- 370 calories, 37 grams carbs, 10 grams of fat and 32 grams protein
Kelly's Bacon-Wrapped BBQ Chicken (By replacing store bought BBQ sauce and turkey bacon you cut out a lot of carbs from the above recipe)
- 350 calories, 8 grams carbs, 10 grams fat and 60 grams protein
What you'll need:
- Uncured Turkey Bacon (I used Applegate) 2 slices per chicken breast
- Organic skinless, boneless chicken breast (about 6 oz per serving)
- Lower fat mozzarella cheese (I used horizon.. and you could really use any cheese you'd like!) 1/4 cup per serving
For the homemade BBQ Sauce: (I will post exact amounts tomorrow.. I usually just wing it when I make it so I need to figure out how much of each)
- Organic Ketchup
- Worcestershire sauce
- Spicy Brown Mustard
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Ground Black Pepper
- Hot Sauce
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 and line a pan with tin foil and lightly brush with oil
- Cook the turkey bacon on the stove- I used a non stick pan, so no need to add any oil
- While the bacon is cooking, slice the chicken breast to make a pocket for the cheese through the middle & season with salt/pepper
- Add 2 tbsp of BBQ sauce per chicken breast- some in the pocket of the chicken and some on top
- Add 1/4 cup or less of cheese in the pocket of the chicken
- Wrap the two slices of bacon around the chicken
- Bake in the oven for about 30 minutes or until chicken is thoroughly cooked and white throughout.
Serve the chicken with a side of veggies and you are sticking to your low-carb dinner.