I have all of these apps myself and know they are all super easy to use, so no excuses!!
Here's my list of the best, free apps for staying fit and healthy:
1. The first on my list is Seconds. I have used this app so many times in group training or for my own workouts! The timers are easy to set up and you can select music to play from your music library directly on the app. It beeps three times to let you know your finishing up your interval and to let you know to move on to the next exercise. You can also change the beeps to different sounds on the app! Fun! This app is great for a beginner or a routine exerciser- interval workouts are a great way to burn fat. In your app store type "Interval Timer Seconds" it should be the second app. They offer a 'pro' version of this app for $4.99 and you can save your timers but I think the free version is fine. Why this app is good for students: You can set the timer and workout in your dorm room or bedroom.. no need for a gym!
2. Fooducate (Website here) is an awesome app. This is a quick resource to checking to see if the food you are about to eat is healthy. They grade the food from A through D and you know which letter you are aiming for! They recommend minimally processed food and always warn you about artificial sweeteners, sugar content, and GMO's. They also have a food point system (similar to weight watchers) that you may use, but I recommend this app more for checking the content of your food. I think there's a better app for tracking food, which I'll get to at number 5! In your app store type "Fooducate" to find this app! Why this app is good for students: It educates you about what you are eating, it will help form healthier habits by making smarter food choices.
3. 5K runner is the only app on my list that is more for a beginner or for someone who hasn't ran in a while. But it's just a really good app, that I had to share! AND GOOD NEWS, they also offer a 10k runner and 21k runner which will keep you running and on track! Unfortunately these addition apps aren't free but if you like to run or want to learn to like to run, these apps would be worth the few bucks! Anyway, back to 5k runner, this is a plan set for beginners and you open the app and follow the instructions! It has you running three days/week and works you up to a 5k, how sweet! Like I always say, you need to alternate days so you do not work the same muscles two days in a row so make sure you do this every other day! In your app store type "5K Runner" to download this amazing app! NOTE* This app has to be opened in order for you to hear when to walk/run * Why this app is good for students: You are just getting back into school and maybe were lazy over the summer.. this is a fool-proof way to start running and building your stamina the right way. No thinking required!
4. To go along with the running, and workouts download GymPact to keep you motivated!! How does getting paid for completing workouts sound to you? You wager your money to get yourself to workout, so don't miss a workout and you won't lose any money! I think this was an awesome idea- and I know great for college students. To start making a few bucks, type "GymPact" in your app store. Why this is good for students: Sometimes it's easier to want to get back from class and lay down, but with the GymPact app you will feel more motivated to get up and workout.. and make some extra cash for the weekend ;)
5. Finally, My Fitness Pal (website here), is the app I always recommend to my clients! This food tracker is super easy to use and breaks down your nutrition so you can see how many carbs, protein and fat you are consuming. I recommend using this every day with every meal. Tracking your food is the best way to maintain or lose weight! If you do not know what you are eating and how many calories and macronutrients you are consuming it's hard to see where you are going wrong. Track your food, make it a habit to log on online or on your phone. In your app store type "MyFitnessPal" to get this app. Why this app is good for students: tracking your food is the most important thing to maintaing or losing weight! Esp if you are a freshman- it may be hard adjusting to college life but tracking your food will keep one thing on track.
These apps will all be helpful in staying healthy at school! Try them all out and let me know what you think!!
A few other apps that I like are Charity Miles (motivation), Runkeeper (tracks runs), and I've also heard Nike Training Club (workouts) is pretty good as well. With all apps, there are some downfalls, but the top 5 I've listed I've never had any major issues with.
So what are you waiting for... get to downloading!! And get healthy!
STAYED TUNED!! Next post:
How to navigate the dining hall
. . . Be happy and healthy,